ncrisp97

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Dark Eden
Chris Beckett
Witchblood - Emma Mills =Jessica is violently attacked by a girl gang, and is then left for dead. But somehow she is saved. Turns out she's become a vampire, under the care of Daniel and Eva. She has to learn how to deal with her new found status, her place in Vampire society, and of course the new diet. But as well as the powers that come with being a vampire, she has others. She's also a witch, somehow, with no way of formally learning to control these powers. And there may be more to this than she thinks...This is a book set in England! Yay! Sorry, I just like books set in England, because I can relate a bit more, and understand a few more cultural references and so on. The concept was interesting, and could have gone either terribly, or well. Luckily, this one went the latter way.From the start, I was hooked. I was promised it would be a quick read owing to the fact it's quite short. But it's not just that. Jessica's narration and the amount of stuff that actually happens mean you can easily speed through it, and still get a good idea of everything that's happening.The characterisation was good. The older vampires seem to have adjusted well to modern life, and Jessica is adjusting to existance as a vampire as well as you'd expect.The romance between Jessica and Daniel was inevitable, but quite nice to watch develop. And then there was the introduction of a kind of love triangle, which was also inevitable but I personally could have done without. Nothing against this book in particular, it's just I can do without love triangles in everything.The final revelation about Luke was quite unexpected, and it made me wish we'd seen a little more of him throughout the bulk of the book to properly get to know him.I think that Eva was my favourite character. The way she handled things, and the fact that she survived the French Revolution just made me like her.Of the supernaturals in this, I have to say that I like the vampires best. That is only because the other two races don't get enough coverage. But I'm sure that I'll love the witches once we get to know them.Overall: Strength 4 tea to a quick read which is setting the stage for some really amazing things to come. Can't wait for the sequel, Witchcraft.