ncrisp97

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Dark Eden
Chris Beckett
Vampire Hunter D - Hideyuki Kikuchi, Yoshitaka Amano Review: Some of you may have heard of Vampire Hunter D, some of you might not. It's post-apocalyptic, set 10,000 years in the future and a few humans are still alive. And there's some other things out there that aren't exactly human and aren't exactly alive either.Vampire lord Count Magnus Lee has bitten Doris Lang, cursing her to transform into a vampire, be fought by her neighbours or marry this vampire. Not a bright outlook. But Vampire Hunter D is able to save her. Add in Rin-Ginsei, rogue who I can't really figure out the point of, and you generally get the plot...Some time ago, everyone seemed to have read or seen VHD, apart from me. So I got the library to buy it. I then got put off it at the content in the first chapter. Which looking back on it wasn't too bad, but to a young and somewhat innocent twelve year old was quite bad. So now I'm older, I went back to it to have another go. The set up is good, with a clear idea of where it can go if Doris doesn't get the help.Doris was a fairly strong female main, able to stand up for herself and handy with a whip, but does rely on D for help. As I said, I didn't see the point of Rin-Ginsei other than as a character to oppose D, but oh well.The vampires in this are traditional ones, with laws and ceremony surrounding wives, and biting and other things like that.The writing was third person and seemed distanced from me through most of it. However, the action scenes were incredibly well written.Overall: Strength 3 tea to a book that I can understand why it spawned a huge franchise, but it just doesn't do it for me.