ncrisp97

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Dark Eden
Chris Beckett
Abandon  - Meg Cabot Review: A year ago, Pierce died. But because she was cold, after they warmed her up, they were able to revive her. During that time while she was dead, she met John. Then she left him when she came back to life. Ever since, John's been kind of following her. He turns up her school and something bad always seems to happen, John's here to take her back to the Underworld. But why? And what will happen to Pierce if she doesn't go?I was drawn in by the summary saying it's are-telling of the story of Persephone and Hades. On that note, it didn't disappoint. Meg Cabot's views of the Underworld were interesting, with the queues, the two boats and so on.John wasn't my favourite male lead of all time. Pierce was believable and easy to understand. Mr Smith, the cemetery keeper, I didn't like at first but found myself warming to him.I really liked the fact that all chapters started with an excerpt from Dante's Inferno. It added a little extra something to the book. Exactly what I'm not sure, as Dante was describing a Christian Hell whilst this was based on the Greek Underworld, but anyway.I had a problem with following all the events in Pierce's life chronologically. There's parts with her old school, parts with her new one, parts involving a perverted teacher, parts involving a cemetery and so on. But they were all mixed together and I found it hard to piece together Pierce's life story.I also don't see the point of all the tassels.Despite this, I enjoyed this retelling.Overall: Strength 3 tea to a different, more romantic take, on one of my favourite Greek myths.