ncrisp97

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Dark Eden
Chris Beckett
Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1) - K.C. Neal some time ago, there was a thing on K.C.Neal’s website saying book bloggers could reserve an e-ARC. I read the vague summary, and requested one not knowing at all what I’d actually get. It could have been anything. It was an original concept with the cakes being the thing that starts a discovery, which then quickly escalates into something really awesome.After realising tipping liquid from strange bottles into cakes that will be given to strangers is not the best thing to do, as the customers start acting really weirdly, Corinne and her friend Ang and nearly-boyfriend Mason investigating. They come across a list with their names on it, with mysterious initials and many more unexplained things. Corinne and her friends must learn about their new status quickly...The characters were all well developed. Corinne was very relatable, as were her problems of being a teen girl in general, with the added fact that she’s received a letter pre-written (if that makes sense) by her grandmother telling her what to do. How much I love Grandma Doris and her opening to the explain all letter... “if you’re reading it [the letter], I must be dead. What a pity!” The other characters were all fleshed out just as well, and I can see some of them coming into play majorly as we go through the series (I’m looking here at Harriet and Sophie...)The romantic side actually added quite a lot to the book, something that doesn’t always happen with books. Mason and Corinne’s relationship was open for exploration, and towards the end when they are bound together magically in a way, you could tell there was another slight layer to this.The pacing was a little slower at the start, but it quickly picked up. Some bits were a little predictable, but there are some bits that really kept me thinking about what happened/what will happen. The book ends at an annoyingly convenient part- convenient because here was a logical place to end it, but annoying because it had just turned a huge corner in terms of plot development and I wanted to read on!Overall: Strength 5 tea to an amazing book that I can’t wait for the sequels to. I want to carry on with Corinne’s story and I also want to see if my suspicions are correct...