ncrisp97

Unspoken
Sarah Rees Brennan
Dark Eden
Chris Beckett
Delirium  - Lauren Oliver Looking back, a harsh rating. Oops.Review: Ok, the blurb sort of speaks for itself. It’s the future; scientists can remove love from the brain, making the world revolve nicely. Lena is 17, and three months away from her birthday, when she will be free from love and hurt and pain forever. And then she falls in love with Alex, which is illegal and can only end in disaster. I like the dystopian world: it’s easy to imagine and has a thorough explanation behind it. The whole idea of being able to eradicate love is brilliant, original and interesting to see how it turns out.There are full explanations for everything and a full set of different terms: amor deliria nervosa is love, sympathisers are those that believe in love and so on.Like the excerpts from the safety health and happiness handbook- they give a fuller view of their world from a different perspectiveAt some points it’s just a forbidden love book, where it’s forbidden across classes, not species and Alex, the love interest, JUST HAPPENED to appear in time to save Lena from being caught in a raidSlightly stereotypical romantic stuff, descriptions of kissing in a little too much detail for my liking. Those who like romance will enjoy this alot.Unlike other forbidden romance novels, this does have an ending related to the reason why the love is forbidden. Alex and Lena soon hatch a plan to escape, invalidating Lena's identity and leaving her uncured. But this comes towards the end of the book, and so I’ll keep my opinions of their adventure to myself.I didn’t really like Alex. I can sort of see why Lena liked him; he’s a complete rebel to society, and who doesn’t like breaking rules? But there wasn’t really any character development with him: he was the same person at the end of the book as he was when we met him. And he seemed like a Gary-Sue. Which I hate. Just have to say, I love the ending. I won’t spoil it, but it’s a tense cliff-hanger that makes me really want a sequel.Overall: I give it strength 3 teas because I loved the new world Oliver created, but the clichéd romance spoiled it.